the alleged hoax about unwise auto-responding

1997-09-23 12:56:47
Regarding my forwarding of what appeared to be a "slow down"
request from the US IRS, someone replied:

You did not include the headers from the original message.
What is the email address of this "IRS autoresponder?"

Remember that I said Forwarded.  If the original headers had been there
(they weren't), and if I had quoted them, it would have been a third-hand
report of what could have been a forgery.

Where did you get this message?  From "what" other list?

From the list whose FAQ is at http://www.ot.com/~dmuth/spam-l

It smells like hoax to us, and so far, you are the one spreading it.

Who is "us" besides the _one_ who wrote the above?  It smelled like hoax
to me that "all spams should be forwarded to
xxxxx(_at_)xxx(_dot_)xxx(_dot_)irs(_dot_)gov" and
this seems to suggest that my suspicions were justified.

No doubt you have already read on _this_ list messages from other than me
suggesting this latest may not be a hoax.

I forwarded it to this list only because it alleged a counter-productive
use of procmail.