Re: Variable size limit?

1997-09-24 01:52:20
On Wed, 24 Sep 1997 01:03:55 -0700 (MST), Wotan <wotan(_at_)netcom(_dot_)com>
wrote:
practice, of course, you're doomed as soon as the size exceeds LINEBUF
but that will hit you slightly later, when you want to say $VAR1.
This is what brought the question to mind.  Some of my test messages
generated output well above default LINEBUFF (what I use) with no problem.
(8-9K characters stored).

You should see LINEBUF exceeded in the log, but like I said, only when
you actually try to +use+ the variable (is this not happening?), and
start getting core dumps when you exceed LINEBUF by too much. (OK,
"should" has the wrong connotations here. That is what will happen,
anyway.)

If that's not what you mean, Stevens contains a table with common
limits for several types of Unices. I can dig up the page number for
you if you like, but I have the book at home.
Cool.  That might proveuseful as well.  :)

Get back to you in private mail.

/* era */

--
 Paparazzi of the Net: No matter what you do to protect your privacy,
  they'll hunt you down and spam you. <http://www.iki.fi/~era/spam/>