a few questions on environment variables

1997-09-29 08:44:13
Hello,

I am beginning in procmail, and I have a few basic questions.

1) I have a rule file containing :

#------------------------------------------------------
#VERBOSE=off
SHELL = /bin/tcsh

PMDIR=$HOME/.procmail

#MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
MAILDIR=$PMDIR

LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log

#DEFAULT=$HOME/Mail/default
DEFAULT=$PMDIR/default

FOUND

:0 c:
* (^TO|^From.*)johnny
johnny
  :0A
  { FOUND="$FOUND johnny" }

:0 c:
* (^TO|^From.*)babe
babe
  :0A
  { FOUND="$FOUND babe" }

:0
|cat $FOUND >> found.list
#------------------------------------------------------

Now, I intend to do various processing on the value of FOUND,
but first, I would like to see what it contains. As you see,
I wanted to copy the contents of FOUND to a file. Obviously,
I am doing it wrong, for no file `found.list' is created.
(I am not a shell guru.) Can somebody tell me what simple
action I should take to see if FOUND behaves as I want it ?

2) Second question : for a given mail, I want to extract the
To: field and the Cc: field and put them in an environment variable.
How do I do it ?

3) Next, given an environment variable, say FOUND, I want to call
a program on it, say `myprogram'. Assume that this program is written
and that it outputs a string. I want the new value of FOUND to
be the value of

     myprogram $FOUND

How would I do this ?

Thanks very much in advance,