Apologies for my SpamBouncing of procmail-d

1997-09-29 12:50:54
On Mon, Sep 29, 1997 at 07:29:39AM -0400 Christopher Biow wrote:

This is my mail filter...
[SpamBounce of entire procmail-d digest]

First, my apologies to the list and thanks to those who courteously alerted
me to the problem. When I subscribed, I had entered procmail@ vice
I've now rectified. Mea maxima culpa.

Catherine Hampton *does* correctly advise her SpamBouncer users to
prefilter all mailing lists, so that part was entirely my mistake for
entering the wrong address.

SpamBouncer, in conjunction with the suggested .procmailrc (upon which I
base mine) also specifically prefilters as follows [recipes omitted for
inapplicable items]:

|# Nuke duplicate messages
|# Create a backup cache of 100 most recent messages
|# Regenerate "From" lines to make sure they are valid
|:0 fhw
|| formail -I "From " -a "From "
|# Send bounced mail and mail from admin accounts to its own folder
|:0:
|* (^FROM_MAILER|\
|   ^From.*[^0-9A-Za-z]abuse@|\
|   ^From.*[^0-9a-zA-Z]spam@)
|| $FORMAIL -A"X-Sorted: Admin" >>$ADMINFOLDER
|# Handle looping mail
|# MAILING LISTS
|# Spam Bouncer call
|...[begin spam.rc]
|:0:
|* ^FROM_DAEMON
|*  !^From.*mailermachine\.com
|| $FORMAIL -A"X-SpamBouncer: Bulk" -A"X-SpamRule: FROM_DAEMON" >>$BULKFOLDER
|
|...[actual SpamBouncing begins after a few more prefilters]

This makes me wonder if my ISP's procmail is failing to match FROM_DAEMON
correctly. We'd previously encounterd a complex mailloop between
SpamBouncer, UUNet, MAILER-DAEMON(_at_)ai(_dot_)net [my ISP], and
Postmaster(_at_)ntl-server(_dot_)videosecrets(_dot_)com(_dot_) It was partly
due to videosecrets
stripping the ^X-Loop: on their autoreplies, but also seemed to involve the
failure of ^FROM_DAEMON and ^FROM_MAILER recipies to trigger.

|aries: {16} procmail -v
|procmail v3.11pre4 1995/10/29 ...
|Locking strategies:     dotlocking, flock()
|Default rcfile:         $HOME/.procmailrc
|System mailbox:         /var/mail/$LOGNAME
|
|set
|shell = tcsh 6.06.00 (Cornell) 1995-05-13 (i386-intel-FreeBSD) options
8b,nls,dh
(only other option on machine is csh)

For now, I'm adding the following immediately before the SpamBouncer
INCLUDERC.

|# [temp] send all remaining daemon mail to admin folder
|# (this will accept mailermachine.com spam)
|:0:
|* (^FROM_DAEMON)
|| $FORMAIL -A"X-Sorted: Admin" >>$ADMINFOLDER

Please email any other useful suggestions directly to me; I'll summarize
for the list.