creating message/rfc822 bounces

1997-10-02 03:53:01
------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: "William J. Evans" <wje(_at_)netcom(_dot_)com>
To: J(_dot_)Daniel(_dot_)Smith(_at_)WriteMe(_dot_)com
Subject: spamgard(tm) in effect; try again.
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 03:27:38 -0700 (PDT)

} I'm sorry, your message did not go through.  To send me a message
} successfully, there is a certain password that you need to place on
[...]

------- end -------

I have to concur with other recent comments about messages like this.

First, some additional heuristics should be added; for example
checking if ^TO matches a subscribed mailing list, or an
In-Reply-To:/References: header.  In this particular case, I
intentionally changed the Subject: to more accurately reflect the
contents of the message.  Why should I penalized for doing this?

If that isn't enough, at the very least format the bounced email as
message/rfc822.  This makes it much easier for decent MUAs to resend
the message altering the Subject: line as you request.  Here's some
code to do just that
-----
:0c
* !^FROM_DAEMON
* $!^X-Loop: ${UNIQUE_NAME}
* ... other conditions ...
{
  MAILDIR=$HOME/mail/tmp
  :0c:
  tmp.$$
  :0 # if $LASTFOLDER is an absolute path
  * LASTFOLDER ?? ^^/
  { FILE=$LASTFOLDER }
  :0E # if $LASTFOLDER is a relative path
  { FILE=$MAILDIR/$LASTFOLDER }
  # If $MAILDIR is also a relative path, you'll know where to look,
  # but if you insist on an absolute path in all cases, use this instead:
  #:0 # if $LASTFOLDER is a relative path
  #* ! FILE ?? ^^/
  #{ FILE=`pwd`/$LASTFOLDER }
  TRAP="rm -f $FILE"

  :0fi
  | formail -rt -I "Precedence: junk" -A "X-Loop: ${UNIQUE_NAME}" \
          -I 'MIME-Version: 1.0' \
          -I 'Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="-- next item ----"' ;\
  echo "This is the preamble of an RFC-2045 encoded, mixed message." ;\
  echo "---- next item ----" ;\
  echo "Content-Type: text/plain" ;\
  echo "" ;\
  echo "Your message to ${TO_LINE}" ;\
  echo "about ${SUBJECT}" ;\
  echo "...additional text..." ;\
  echo "Thank you for your understanding and cooperation," ;\
  echo "   Dan" ;\
  cat ${HOME}/.signature ;\
  echo "---- next item ----" ;\
  echo "Content-Type: message/rfc822" ;\
  echo "" ;\
  formail -I "From " < $FILE ;\
  echo "---- next item ------"

  :0
  ! -oi -t
 }
-----

   Dan
------------------- message is author's opinion only ------------------
J. Daniel Smith <DanS(_at_)bristol(_dot_)com>
http://www.bristol.com/~DanS
Bristol Technology B.V.                   +31 33 450 50 50, ...51 (FAX)
Amersfoort, The Netherlands               {info,jobs}(_at_)bristol(_dot_)com