fgrep -i condition-line potential Solaris bug

1997-10-05 17:59:46

SUMMARY:
    FYI -- There may be a Solaris bug where the condition:
         * ?grep -v '^Subject' | fgrep -i -s -f $PMDIR/banned
    Needs to be changed to remove the "-i", for example, to something like:
         * ?grep -v '^Subject' | fgrep -s -f $PMDIR/banned

DETAILS:
Andrew Beckett (andrewb(_at_)cadence(_dot_)com), in the UK, kindly wrote an
efficient
procmail filter banning repeat spammers using the simple recipe:

   :0hb
   * ?grep -v '^Subject' | fgrep -s -f $PMDIR/banned
       {
        EXITCODE=77
        :0:
        automated/junk
       }

Where "banned" is simply a text file containing a list of known spammers, e.g.,
   FreeWay(_at_)dm1(_dot_)com
   KORBS(_at_)ix(_dot_)netcom(_dot_)com
   hnet(_at_)dialup(_dot_)francenet(_dot_)fr
   etc.

One issue for procmail users on Solaris was Andrew's finding that, in his
words:
   > The reason for using grep -v first is because when using a command
   > as the check with the ? operator, the whole header gets passed (not
   > the body), and so I wanted to filter out the Subject lines, so that
   > emails sent with the subject "Have you received a message from
   > lah-blah(_at_)spam" don't get filtered.
   >
   > Note that I did have fgrep -i -s -f originally, but I discovered that
   > whilst this works on SunOS 4.x, it fails on Solaris (even though -i
   > for case insensitivity is in the man page).
   >
   > I think this is probably a Solaris bug.

I figured, if this is indeed a Solaris bug, the procmail users would
want to know about it. Any suggestions, let us know.