Re: help trimming Received headers?

1997-11-05 10:40:55
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 10:43:39 -0500
From: wwgrol(_at_)sparc01(_dot_)fw(_dot_)hac(_dot_)com (W. Wesley Groleau
x4923)
Subject: Re: help trimming Received headers?

I realize this is not what you asked for, but I would like to try to
make a point that filtering headers with procmail is a risky practice.
If there is any kind of problem, some of those headers may be needed
for tracing.  Furthermore, any bugs in your filter may result in
problems you won't notice right away, such as loss of reply-to
addresses or whatever.

I see that you are planning to save copies in a backup folder, and so
you mitigate a part of the risk.  But I guess my feeling is still that
it would be better to avoid filtering headers.

I believe the mail reader program is responsible for hiding parts of
the message that you don't want to see.  Maybe I'm just spoiled by a
good mail reader.  Elm allows me to hide any and all headers without
any changes to the mail file.

*plink*

Regards, Ed