Re: Calling programs from procmail most efectively?

1997-11-12 09:15:01
jari(_dot_)aalto(_at_)poboxes(_dot_)com writes:
   I just realised that the backticks always trigger procmail to
   feed the whole message to te called shell, right? So in fact
   the statement above is not the best one:

       dummy = `echo "$FROM $SUBJECT" >> $SIMPLE_LOG`

   but instead I should write

       :0 hi:
       | echo "$FROM $SUBJECT" >> $SIMPLE_LOG

   but it's not one liner any more and breaks the A E dependencies
   in my .procmailrc. Can someone comment if using the first one
   is that expensive that I should care about it?

It doesn't matter.  Either way procmail will make one write system call
which will return 0 [bytes written] and off it goes.

Philip Guenther