Re: Archiving mail

1997-11-12 09:01:48
Andreas Sikkema writes:
Hi

Is there a way to get procmail save mail to a folder with a date in
the name? I want procmail to save some mail to a folder that changes
it's name every month. Or do I need another app to do this?

 I'm doing something similar: I run hypermail through procmail to
 create html archives of some mailing lists:

:0 c:tetex.lock
* ^Sender: owner-tetex
| ${HYPERMAIL} -i -u -d ${ArchiveRoot}/teTeX/${MonthFolder} \
 -l "teTeX ${DATE}" -a "${ArchiveRoot}/index.shtml" \
 -b "${ArchiveRoot}/teTeX/info.html"
 :0A:
 IN.tetex

 where DATE=`date '+%B %Y'` and MonthFolder=`date +%Y-%B`.

 Note1: There are procmail recipes which extract date and time information
        from email, thus saving the call to the 'date' command. Era's procmail
        page has links to appropriate libraries.
        I'm using GNU date because it's easier ;)
 Note2: In this example, hypermail automatically creates ${MonthFolder}
        (-d option) if it doesn't exist. There are also examples in the
        procmailex man page.