Re: Archiving mail

1997-11-13 01:04:34
On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, David W. Tamkin wrote:

Oh well, it seems I have been a little on the not so clear side hera,
;-)

1. Is the folder a plain file, a mail directory, or an MH-style directory?
Just a plain text file, I think the correct name is Berkely style
mailfolder or something like that. Just what procmail normally does.

2. Is this for particular items of mail or for your $DEFAULT?
For particulary items of mail, which I already filter, so I just need
to copy those (because i want to read them in my incoming mail-folder
_and_ archive them)

3. How will the name of the month be incorporated into the name of the
folder?  The first three letters, the entire word, the two-digit decimal
The two digit style is sufficient enough.. and

4. Should the name of the folder incorporate the year just in case last May's
folder is still not removed by next May 1 (for example)?  If so, do you want
all four digits of the year or just two?
Prefarably the four digits, because in a hundred year's procmail will
start to overwrite some parts of the archive ;-) Seriously, I'd like
to have a four digit year

What I want is something like this:
:c:
* ^From: (_dot_)*introspective-digest(_at_)tcp(_dot_)com(_dot_)*
1997_11_introspective_digest

What I want to do is the the folder name should be created
automatically. Because the mail I archive is a digest, there won't be
that much traffic. But there is a chance that sometime in the future
I'll start to archive the normal traffic. In that case using 'date' is
a bit on the expensive side, right?

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions so far. I don't really understand
the regexp version though..

     _/_/_/ _/_/_/_/  _/_/                     Andreas Sikkema
sikke600(_at_)hio(_dot_)tem(_dot_)nhl(_dot_)nl
  _/_/_/_/   _/     _/_/   Maintainer of the NS-Discussies FAQ
_/    _/   _/    _/_/_/   www.engineering.tem.nhl.nl/~sikke600