Re: strange stuff in backup directory

1997-11-12 13:51:12
At 01:47 PM, 12 November 1997, "W. Wesley Groleau x4923"
<wwgrol(_at_)sparc01(_dot_)fw(_dot_)hac(_dot_)com> wrote:
Stan Ryckman found the following in his backup directory:
|   -rw-------  1 stanr        3063 Nov  4 03:31 .nfsA0c724.4
|   -rw-------  1 stanr        1780 Nov  3 23:00 .nfsA47da4.4
|   -rw-------  1 stanr         849 Nov  3 23:22 .nfsA481f4.4
|   -rw-------  1 stanr        2293 Nov 11 11:28 .nfsA737d4.4

Those look like some of the temporary names procmail uses while it is trying
to write a file out, which it renames if things go well.  I noticed that
they
all came from a 4h 31 span overnight; perhaps there was some systems work
being done on your machine that screwed things up?

I wouldn't just blame procmail.  This seems to be an artifact of using an
NFS server to write files.  I have seen these left around by all sorts of
programs--often when a file by the "right" name has the same contents.

When a file that is being used by a program on an NFS client gets
unlinked the NFS server renames it to something like that.  It should
then actually get unlinked when the file is closed, but it looks like
the NFS server never got the close message for those.

--
Aaron Schrab     aaron(_at_)schrab(_dot_)com      http://www.execpc.com/~aarons/
 "It is easier to port a shell than a shell script."  --Larry Wall