strange stuff in backup directory

1997-11-11 19:27:58
Per man page advice, I've always had something like:

  # Put mail into backup directory, but continue
  :0 c
  backup

  # Keep only last 3 emails received in backup, and continue
  :0 ic
  | cd backup && rm -f dummy `ls -t msg.* | sed -e 1,3d`

in my .procmailrc (I change the 3 periodically; it's
low right now to avoid disk space wastage and I'm not playing
with the .procmailrc in which I'm relatively confident).

I discovered these today, in hunting for disk space:

  /disk3/home/stanr/Mail 119) ls -la backup
  total 22
  drwx------  2 stanr         512 Nov 11 21:00 .
  drwx------  3 stanr        2560 Nov 11 21:11 ..
  -rw-------  1 stanr        3063 Nov  4 03:31 .nfsA0c724.4
  -rw-------  1 stanr        1780 Nov  3 23:00 .nfsA47da4.4
  -rw-------  1 stanr         849 Nov  3 23:22 .nfsA481f4.4
  -rw-------  1 stanr        2293 Nov 11 11:28 .nfsA737d4.4
  -rw-------  1 stanr        2598 Nov 11 20:39 msg.HCJB
  -rw-------  1 stanr        3127 Nov 11 21:00 msg.ICJB
  -rw-------  1 stanr        1884 Nov 11 20:45 msg.KCJB
  /disk3/home/stanr/Mail 120)

Any ideas what might make those .nfs* files?  They contain
messages which seem to have been successfully processed by
procmail in the later parts of the .procmailrc .  However,
I doubt they'd ever get cleaned up if I didn't discover them.

Thanks,
Stan