Another efficiency question

1997-11-19 20:59:28
I've had very good, but not total, success in stopping
spam by restricting acceptance only to those emails that
are properly addressed to either me or the mailing lists
I subscribe to.  In a few cases, spam is actually being
addressed to "waltdnes(_at_)interlog(_dot_)com", rather than to
"friend(_at_)public(_dot_)com" or "hornyguy(_at_)internet(_dot_)com".
  To fight those, I want to get serious with the idea of
blocking by IP address range.  I'm working on a PC-QBASIC
based "roboproc" recipie generator to parse through my
spam header captures and automatically spit out a recipie.
I can get the program to generate the recipie as either..

:0Hi
* !\[24\.92\.0\.*\]
* !\[24\.92\.32\.*\]
* !\[128\.125\.253\.*\]
etcetera...

...or...

:0Hi
* !\[24\.92\.0\.*\]|\[24\.92\.32\.*\]|\[128\.125\.253\.*\]etcetera...

  I can get the second form to break before 2048 bytes,
and it'll also honour non-default values of LINEBUF.  Since
the recipie is generated by a program, I'm not worried about
not being able to edit the second form.  Is there any
compelling reason for one version or the other, e.g. speed,
memory use, or other reason?

--
Walter Dnes
waltdnes(_at_)interlog(_dot_)com