Re: Apparently-From: and From:

1997-12-02 09:38:13
On Sun, 30 Nov 1997 23:34:36 -0500 (EST), gsutter(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com wrote:
 > Is there a situation where both the From: header and the
 > Apparently-From: header will appear in a message?  I've got one and I

I don't know what adds Apparently-From: -- I only found it in four
messages in my own archives, all basically forged. However, all of
these had both From: and Apparently-From: but they held identical
information.

The spam archive at http://www.spam-archive.org/ gave at least 50 hits
on Apparently-From but this could be a function of how the archive
works (i.e. people forward stuff to a mailing list which gets
archived; all the messages in my own archive were forwarded, too).

/* era */

According to the sendmail book, the "Apparently-From:" header is added
by Smail 3.x when it cannot find any of the valid sender headers in the
message.  The field used on "Apparently-From:" is taken from the
the message envelope.  sendmail will create a "From:" header in this
situation.

--
Keith Pyle
Systems/Network Engineering