Simple RBL lookup tool available

1997-12-04 20:52:45
This is a quick note to announce the availability of a new tool for using
Paul Vixie's RBL blacklist (see http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for more
information about the blacklist itself, if you don't already know).

Most tools which use the blacklist block email on a site-wide basis. For
many networks, this treads on both the ideals of the administration, and
on the perceived freedoms of the end user.

Personally, I don't care either way. :-)

This tool was to fill the need I had to reject mail personally, since one
of the systems I receive mail through cannot, for various political
reasons, implement the available RBL filters on a site-wide basis.

"rblcheck" is a simple tool meant to be used from procmail and other
personal filtering systems under UNIX in the absense of a site-wide
filter, as an alternative to imposing site-wide restrictions, or as a
means of imposing restrictions on systems that cannot support the existing
RBL filter patches.

Simply put: you hand it an IP address, and it determines if the IP is in
the RBL filter, providing the caller with a positive or negative response.

With the package, a sample procmail recipe is provided, and examples of
using it under QMail and Sendmail are given.

You can get it from: http://www.xnet.com/~emarshal/rblcheck/

It is only tested under Linux 2.x and Solaris 2.5.1. Success stories,
patches, questions, suggestions, and flames can be directed to me at
"emarshal(_at_)logic(_dot_)net".

Unless you're in the RBL filter. :-)

--
_/ __ \  ___//     \  Edward S. Marshall <emarshal(_at_)logic(_dot_)net>