MS Explorer's application/ms-tnef

1997-12-11 06:25:21

    Hi,

    It hit me too that poeple are sending those ugly 7k mime attachements
    when their MUA is MS internet explorer. It spits out MIME messages in
    attached format. I can read MIME okay, but I have no use for the
    ms-tnef

    I wanted to get rid of the base64 block, while still preserving the MIME,
    so I wrote this awk script. I know that here are couple SED
    wizards like [phil, david] in this list; so does anyone have any other
    alternatives to do the same more effifiently than as done with awk now.

    I might even consider killing the MIME tags (MIME headers too)
    entirely leaving in only the message, but before that I must know
    that there is only

        MESSAGE
        ms-tnef

    and not

        MESSAGE
        attachement     << 1 or more
        ms-tnef

    Might scoring help here to find out the case a) and b)?

    jari

#   Idiot MS Explorer adds application/ms-tnef 7k tag to the message
#   Do not break the mime message, but only squeeze out the 7k
#   block and rewrite it like this
#
#   ------ =_NextPart_000_01BD04D4.A5AC6B00
#
#   ------ =_NextPart_000_01BD04D4.A5AC6B
#
#   - raise suppress flag(f) if we find ms-tnef. Also change the
#     mime type.
#   - set flag back to 0 when the ending tag is found
#   - print the lines when flag is 0.
#
:0 fb
* B ?? application/ms-tnef
| awk ' /application.ms-tnef/                                       \
        {f=1; print "Content-Type: text/plain;\n"}                  \
        /------/                                                    \
    {if (f==0) {print} } '

Subject: test
<other headers>

------ =_NextPart_000_01BD04D4.A5AC6B00

<the message itself>

------ =_NextPart_000_01BD04D4.A5AC6B00

eJ8+IjsQAQaQCAAEAAAAAAABAAEAAQeQBgAIAAAA5AQAAAAAAADoAAEIgAcAGAAAAElQTS5NaWNy
<and the rest of 7k block>

------ =_NextPart_000_01BD04D4.A5AC6B00--