Re: MS Explorer's application/ms-tnef

1997-12-12 02:33:17
 97-12-11 <jari(_dot_)aalto(_at_)poboxes(_dot_)com> list.procmail
| From: <jari(_dot_)aalto(_at_)poboxes(_dot_)com>
| Subject: MS Explorer's application/ms-tnef

[how to de-mimefy the ms-tnef...]

Okay folks, I got annoyed by the MS Exporer so much that I wrote
procmail module to make my life easier with it. If anyone is
receiving these ms-tnef mime attachements, see if you find
following module usefull. (available with "Subject: send pm-code.shar")

jari

[Excerpt from pm-jams-tnef.rc]

    Description

        Microsoft Explorer has a bad habbit of including 7k pplication/ms-tnef
        tag to the end of message. The sample message is described in next
        section. If you don't want to see that additional ms-tnef attachement,
        then plug in this module and you no longer see MS Explorer cruft.

        This recipe works like this: If mail structure is

            message (maybe quoted-printable)
            ms-tnef

        then all the MIME is killed from the body. The body is also decoded
        if it was quoted printable. This leaves clean text and mime has been
        killed as well:

            message

        But if the mail structure was anything else, like if there were 3
        mime sections:

            message (maybe quoted-printable)
            attachement
            ms-tnef

        then only the 7k ms-tnef is killed from the body. The MIME tags are
        not removed, When the ms-tnef is killed, the ms-tnef mime type is
        changed to text/plain and that part only has empty line. You
        can read the MIME message as usual, but you don't have to bother
        with the unnecessary ms-tnef attachement.

            message (maybe quoted-printable)
            attachement
            text-plain  (empty)