regexp differences

1997-12-11 07:40:11
Hi folks,

I've been using grep and sed for long, but only with not
too complicated regexp, if one could call them so.

Now I learn both Perl and procmail and try to focus on them.

My question is:

1. Is there a comprehensive listing of the difference between
common grep implementations, sed implementations, perl5 and
current procmail?

I think I get too confused sometimes.

2. Is there a mailing list dedicated to esp. regexp?

I see many questions here that are mainly targeted to regexp
matters and I have questions to regexp too, but those would be
for Perl5 to use. I'd e.g. search an regexp for realnames to
be extracted from both common from: email formats.

3. And maybe even that?

I know flex/yacc only by rumor and have them on my list of to
do stuff. Maybe there is some way for a grammar that would be
translated to grep, sed, perl5, procmail in one rush.

I'd need to learn flex/yacc anyway. Could I save the time to
learn about different regexp (I have a bad memory) and prefer
one approach for all? Or is this silly?

        TIA and greetings, Kay Hayen