Re: running out of processes (sendmail and/or procmail question)

1997-12-14 11:25:21
"PG" == Philip Guenther <guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu> writes:

PG> sendmail has two options that control the loadaverages at which it
PG>     a) stops attempting delivery and just queues messages, and
PG>     b) stops accepting mail via SMTP.
PG> You really can't just limit the number of simultaneous deliveries.

Unless you tell the sendmail daemon it should *never* deliver mail.
Sendmail will queue allmail if you tell it that the mail delivery agent is
"expensive" and that it shouldn't deliver expensive mail.

Then run a separate script that runs sendmail with a different config. file
and actually delivers the mail.

We do this on one of our systems because mail delivery can eat up our
machines.

Sometimes it takes a few extra seconds to deliver mail but we *never* have
problems because there's too much delivery going on :)

--
Mark Plaksin                                http://www.arches.uga.edu/~happy/