delivery to links works??

1997-12-14 11:16:29
end
[to limit the damage done by the jerk who put a majordomo server on this list]

For years I have believed that procmail would not deliver to a plain folder
that already had more than one hard link, to a symlink that pointed to an
existing plain file, nor to a symlink that pointed to a nonexistent name in
a valid directory.  I assumed that the reason was potential dotlocking con-
flicts.

I've found all of those to be false, even for a procmail 3.11pre7 binary that
has all kernel locking disabled.  The procmail(1) man page still says that
those rules apply to the compiled-in setting for ORGMAIL but nothing about
other folders.

Was it ever the case?  Why was it changed?  Perhaps it is unimportant when
kernel-locking strategies are in use, but it seems essential when procmail
relies only on dotlocks.