RE: Filter aol.com

1998-01-08 13:18:32
----------
From:
lester(_dot_)r(_dot_)diefenbach(_at_)lmco(_dot_)com[SMTP:lester(_dot_)r(_dot_)diefenbach(_at_)lmco(_dot_)com]

I'm trying to filter all messages that come from AOL.COM and put

:0:
* ^From: *(_at_)aol(_dot_)com
Trash

in my .procmailrc. I was hoping to dump all the aol.com
stuff to either dev/null or the Trash file, but it still
comes into my normal inbox.
What am I missing??

Your condition line says:

        "^From:"   # a line starting from From:
        " *"       # (thats a space star) followed by 0 or
                   # more spaces
        "@aol.com" # followed by @aol.com

It will probably never match because there is no provision
in the regular expression to match the username part of the
e-mail address.

Try:

    :0:
    *^From:(_dot_)*(_at_)aol(_dot_)com
    Trash

the replacement of " *" (space star) with ".*" (dot start)
allows the regexp to match *any* number (including zero) of
*any* character between the "From:" and the "@aol.com"

HTH

Simeon