Re: syntax rant (was Re: bug: overoptimizing RE)

1998-01-23 07:39:31
On Thu, Jan 22, 1998 at 07:06:23PM -0500, Eli's Procmail Stuff wrote:
Philip Guenther <guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu> replied to me:
* ^Subject:.*Keywords.*\/[0-9]*
Bzzt.  It *did* match greedily on the right hand side.  The problem is
that you let it match too early.  It matched as follows:

You are correct, I was not thinking clearly. This would not have happened
if procmail treated both sides as greedy for any RE with a \/, thus hiding
its shortcut optimizations from the user.

Let me state again how bizarrely stupid procmail regular expressions
expressions are. It is very frustrating to have a world of programs
which all have regular expressions that at least share a common subset
of features and then come to procmail and find that those commonalities
are missing (and that this is poorly documented is just icing on the

Err.. Just out of academic curiosity, can anyone elaborate exactly how
procmail differs from the "common subset of features" found in most RE
engines out there.

Thanks,
Vikas