Re: hashed mail spool directory

1998-02-02 07:29:46
"Gjermund S\xF8rseth" <gjermund(_at_)nextel(_dot_)no> writes:
What we do is to put the hashed directories in the password file as the
users home directory, and then just make
procmail deliver mail to the home directories. This makes procmail
unaware of the hashing algorithm used. If I remember correctly, procmail
has one or two hashing algorithms built in that you can choose from,
but those aren't the best (we use our own).
In my central /etc/procmailrc I put something like

 ORGMAIL = /no/such/directory

...which never exists. This seems to work.

If you're delivering to home directories, then there's no need to
change ORGMAIL.  ORGMAIL and DEFAULT are normally the same (DEFAULT
gets its value from ORGMAIL) which in your case will be
$HOME/something.  Since the permissions check that's done on $ORGMAIL
is done before /etc/procmailrc is read, that assignment has no useful
side effects, and may confuse those who expect procmail to fallback to
delivering to $ORGMAIL if DEFAULT has been changed and can't be
delivered to.

Philip Guenther