Re: unix style mailbox 'From' line

1998-02-04 13:30:09
Neil Clifford asked,

| Is there anyway to dissuade procmail from prepending the unix mailbox
| style From line to the front of every (mmdf ^A delimited format) message -
| ie the
|
| >From MAILER-DAEMON  Wed Feb  4 17:59:26 1998
|
| type line? Should I be fiddling with FROM_EXPR in config.h?

You can use the `r' flag (for raw mode) on every recipe where you do not want
a From_ line added.  (I'm assuming that there isn't one already there; the
`r' flag keeps procmail from making sure that there are a From_ line at the
top and a blank line at the bottom, but it will not make procmail remove them
if they are already present.)  Also, be careful to use the -f option on all
calls to formail so that formail won't add a From_ line.

Someone here who didn't need From_ lines -- I forget who -- found it annoying
to put `r' onto every recipe and altered the source to prevent procmail from
adding From_ lines at all, ever.  I think a better idea would be a procmailrc
Boolean to enable or disable them for all recipes without affecting other
users.  (Then perhaps we'd need a reverse-r flag to undo raw mode for one
recipe at a time?)