Valid From

1998-02-08 20:15:36
Hello everyone,

        I have recently began my venture of using procmail, therefore I
am, by no means, good at it. I have written a few recipes for auto
responders and some redirects. What I would like to do is include a recipe
that would check to see if the incoming mail includes a valid return
address. I have been receiving some spams entering my account with some
header referring to being sent through this list. But the sender reply
addresses are very bogus. I realize this will cause extra cpu cycles, but
how heavy would this be on the system? Single account verses a system wide
recipe?  I would also like the all the header info from any bogus mail to
be logged into it's own seperate file. (ie: The set of headers from the
first bogus mail would be saved to bogus1 : Then when a second bogus email
would be received the recipe would then look to see if there is a current
bougs1, if so will saved headers in second email as bogus2, otherwise will
save as bogus1) I might be asking to much from procmail and a recipe, if
so please correct me.
        I would like to say that if anyone would provide the actual recipe
for this, it would be appreciated. But I do not expect that, and I have
found that if you point me in the correct direction I cqan usually get it
myself. Therefore if anyone can direct me to two examples that I might be
able to combine in what I need, that would be great. I would perfer to do
this, but then again, how would I test something like this (ie: how do I
fake my own from) This leads me to my final question. In an attempt to
avoid spam I would like to slightly adjust my from header. Not the domain,
just the userid to include the obvious (no Spam) in it. But is there a way
that I can do this on the fly depending on who and where the email is
going. Example: revised From: only when sending to news groups etc.

        TIA - As I have already learned much from just reading the group
and practicing what is posted.

        - "Henry Smith, Jr."