Re: Valid From

1998-02-09 02:12:28
Sun 98-02-08 "Administrator - Henry Smith Jr. " <hensj(_at_)ihs2000(_dot_)com>
list.procmail
| What I would like to do is include a recipe that would check to see
| if the incoming mail includes a valid return address.

We have no way of knowing if the whole address is valid.
We only can validate the site with nslookup, that's the closest we get.

Get pm-code.shar [ See X-info header ] and use this

    #   RC caches the nslookups, so recipe will be faster the more
    #   you use it.
    #
    RC_NSLOOKUP = $PMSRC/pm-janslookup.rc
    RC_EMAIL    = $PMSRC/pm-jaaddr.rc       # will break email to parts

    :0
    * condition to send reply (detected possible spam somewhere along the line)
    {
        #   Where are we about to send the message ...
        INPUT       = `formail -rt -xTo:`
        INCLUDERC   = $RC_EMAIL

        INPUT       = $SITE         # exploded by $RC_EMAIL
        INCLUDERC   = $RC_NSLOOKUP  # verify it

        :0                          # nslookup for $SITE failed
        * ERROR ?? yes
        {
            # we can't generate reply to this address...
            :0 h
            header.mbox

| how heavy would this be on the system? Single account verses a system wide
| recipe?

This is what someone commented...

    18.2 My ISP has systemwide procmailrc; is this good idea? [pm-tips.txt]

        [eli] I, for one, do not like my ISPs to put stuff in
        /etc/procmailrc. There is precious little I will gain from that and
        plenty of opportunity for them to make mistakes I would not have. At
        one ISP I know people got upset at some sendmail level filtering of
        email. One of those upset is a habitual complain-to-spammer-ISP
        person. He did not want problems seeming to go away if they were
        really there. Another guy just didn't trust the filtering.

        Writing a shell script that will give the user a .procmailrc which
        includercs a system wide shared procmailrc is the best way to do it.
        This forces the filtering to be "opt-in".

| I would also like the all the
| header info from any bogus mail to be logged into it's own seperate file.

See the recipe.

Cheers!
jari