Logging from system rc file.

1998-02-09 11:44:30

I'm setting up Procmail as a secondary spam filter.
Primary filtering is done using exim as my MTA.

I'm finding that filter clauses that I expect to work aren't always.
But when they fail, and when the user has his own procmailrc file
then there isn't anything useful logged.

E.g.

VERBOSE=YES

:0 H:
[mess of score expressions.]
/var/spool/spam/bigfoot

If this fails, there is nothing to tell me what the subject
and from was so that I can try to match what was happeining
with the scores.

So in order to log from and subject so that I could try to
match the message I didn't want to receive with the log of the
scoring, I did this:

:0 Hc:
*
/dev/null

This seems to be a clunky way to do it.

Is there a more elegant way to extract information for logging, but
not for delivery?

Sherwood Botsford       | email
avatar(_at_)vega(_dot_)math(_dot_)ualberta(_dot_)ca
Sorcerers Apprentice    | Office CAB 642B
System Administrator    | Tel: 403 492 5728
Trouble shooter         | Fax: 403 492 6826