Procmail Deletes

1998-02-09 13:20:59
I had a system crash, and lost my main drive. Backups weren't
much help, so I re-created all my procmail stuff (using procmailrcs,
mailertable, etc.) to do virtual accounts. The mailertable entry for
the domain is:

domain.com      procmail:/etc/procmailrcs/domain.com

which contains:

# Set on when debugging
VERBOSE=yes

# Replace 'mail' with your mail directory
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail

# Directory for storing procmail log and rcfiles
PMDIR=$HOME/.procmail

LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc.filter

and domain.com permissions in /etc/procmailrcs is:

 8074    1 -rw-rw----    1 username mail    220 Feb  6 22:50 domain.com

with the procmailrcs permissions being:

 7963    1 drwx------    2 root     sys     512 Feb  4 16:19 procmailrcs/

and the beginning of the rc.filter holds (in the username directory):

:0 c
backup

:0 ic
| cd backup && rm -f dummy `ls -t msg.* | sed -e 1,64d`

RECIPT = $2

SENDER = $1

The problem is, the system use to execute the "capture" bit above
and keep only 64 messages around (these users seem to have a really
bad problem with email, so now, by default, I keep some on-line to
recover their errors). Now, it's not deleting the "backup" email.

The username directory permissions are:

 4790    1 drwxrwxr-x    4 username  groupname    512 Feb  5 02:56 Mail/

and in Mail:

 4786   22 drwxrwxrwx    2 username  groupname  11264 Feb  9 19:46 backup/

and in backup all files are owned by username:groupname. User shell is
/sbin/csh (Irix 5.3). The log file (in verbose) reports:

procmail: Assigning "INCLUDERC=/usr/people/username/.procmail/rc.filter"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=backup/msg.5KB"
procmail: Opening "backup/msg.5KB"
procmail: [1041] Mon Feb  9 19:46:10 1998
procmail: Executing " cd backup && rm -f dummy `ls -t msg.* | sed -e 1,64d`"
procmail: [1041] Mon Feb  9 19:46:10 1998
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER= cd backup && rm -f dummy `ls -t msg.* | sed -e
1,64d`"

but, of course, nothing gets deleted. Any ideas that could direct me
at the resolution of problem? I've seen this before, but once I did
a sendmail/procmail upgrade (as my faulty memory cells seem to remember),
it went away. It obviously knows where the backup directory is, as
it is writing backup files.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
---
Bob Gahl KD6KMX Bicycle (Ryan Vanguard) Mobile  ||      @
      ARPA/INTERNET: bgahl(_at_)thesphere(_dot_)com        ||   !_ \
    WWW: http://www.thesphere.com/~bgahl/       ||   (*)-~--+--(*)
"If you're trying to be politically correct you're like a chameleon
 in front of a mirror. What can you say that won't be offensive to
 somebody?"                                        Robin Williams