Problem with procmail as deliver agent.

1998-02-18 04:35:29
Hello,

I use procmail for 2 different purposes. The first one, which is OK is
sorting my email using a .forward and a ~/.procmailrc.

I use it too for root to deliver and sort some messages *directly* (that
is without involving sendmail) to my home dir. The reason is I want my
voice e-mail (can be big files) to avoid going to the mail hub, and then
back to my local machine.

The script, which runs procmail (setuid installed) does something like :
$ procmail -d user < file, with file :
-SOF-
From: TEST <test(_at_)bach(_dot_)eurecom(_dot_)fr>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 14:57:48 +0100
Subject: voice mail
To: enout

This is a test.
-EOF-

This works OK if my mail spool is NFS mounted :
0-bach# mount
alpes:/var/spool/mail on /var/spool/mail type nfs (rw,...)
0-bach# ll -d /var/spool/mail/
drwxrwsrwt   4 root     uucp        12800 Feb 18 12:13 /var/spool/mail/
0-bach# ll -d /var/spool/mail/enout
-rw-------   1 enout    /var/spool/mail/enout

But this *does not* work if my mail spool is local (NFS directory
umounted).
0-bach# ll -d /var/spool/mail/
drwxrwsr-x   2 root     mail         1024 Feb 17 19:26 /var/spool/mail/
0-bach# ll -d /var/spool/mail/enout
-rw-rw----   1 enout    mail  /var/spool/mail/enout

Stracing procmail the problem is that procmail can't read my procmail if
the *mail spool* dir is *not* nfs mounted. Procmail doesn't change its euid
to mine, which is mandatory to be able to read my ~/.procmailrc (also NFS
mounted). So no sort is done and the message gets in my mailbox and not in
the correct directory.

Did somebody encounter this kind of problem ?
How to solve it ?

Thanks.

PS:
I run linux 2.0.27, with debian 1.3.1r6.

procmail v3.11pre4 1995/10/29 written and created by Stephen R. van den
Berg <srb(_at_)cuci(_dot_)nl>
Locking strategies:     dotlocking
Default rcfile:         $HOME/.procmailrc
System mailbox:         /var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME

---
Alain ENOUT                   Research Engineer, Mobile Communications Dpt
enout(_at_)eurecom(_dot_)fr                               Phone: +33 (0)4 93 00
26 65
EURECOM, 2229 rte des cretes, BP 193, 06904 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France