Re: A (possibly) novel way of dealing with spam/UBE

1998-02-25 10:59:36
On Feb 25,  8:32am, psmith(_at_)oakland(_dot_)edu wrote:
Subject: A (possibly) novel way of dealing with spam/UBE
I'm sure spam filtering is not a new topic to this group, but the method
I'm currently using might be.  I'll breifly state the idea below along
with some issues I have yet to solve.  Your comments would be appreciated.
--snip--
I'm in the process of implementing a scheme which:

  - Accepts mail if from a recognized source

  - Bounces all other mail back, with a rejection letter attached
    explaining how to become a "recognized" source (basically resend
    the message with a special keyword in the subject).  Optionally
    logs the action for future reference.

Hi,
        I have a system for people who are mailing form systems or netblocks
that I've blocked.  The block message gives them the password, and the handling
of the password is shown below.  I locate this at the top of my .procmailrc.
        It's usefull for allowing people in from domains like hotmail, but I
think that going with a full white list is excessive.
        Blacklist = people on the list are bounced.
        Whitelist = people not on the list are bounced.
text follows:
# This one sees if someone hwo has a magic cookie has already been
# entered.  If so, tell them that they are in.
:0c
* ^Subject:.*givematthewgsaroffacookie
* ? (formail -xFrom:) ! fgrep -i -f $GOLIST
! (formail -r \
-A "X-Loop: msaroff(_at_)pca(_dot_)net" \
-A "Precedence: junk"; \
echo "Hi,";\
echo "     In my last message, I said that you would be AUTOMATICALLY";\
echo "added to the approved list if you sent a message with the";\
echo "password.";\
echo "     Well, you have been added, so you don't have to use the";\
echo "password any more.";\
echo " ";\
echo "--Matthew Saroff";) ! $SENDMAIL -t -oi

:0c:
* ] ? formail -xFrom: ! fgrep -i -f $GOLIST
!formail -rtzxTo: >> $GOLIST

# This will send anything with my magic ccookie directly to my
# inbox
:0:
* ? (formail -xFrom:) ! fgrep -i -f $GOLIST
$DEFAULT

Matthew Saroff
Do not reply directly to this message.  Reply to
msaroff(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com