Re: And sometimes, there is this ...

1998-03-02 13:03:22
On Mar 2,  6:19pm, Kimmo Jaskari wrote:
On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Matthew G. Saroff (Reply to the pobox address) wrote:

|     My Autoresponder once bounced Eli the Bearded.  He was miffed, and
| basically said (on the list), "Your problem."
|     If I get a message from someone claiming that an autoresponder of this
| sort is spam, I'd wonder if they were trying to hawk the latest MLM.

Not spam in the strictest sense, but it's still near-totally needless
and it uses up net bandwith for no reason, thus I'd go with Eli on this
one. If I hit such a "prove you're no spammer" autoresponder I can
guarantee I won't. When you plow through lots of email every day the last
thing you need is having to send the same mail several times; quite
frankly, I've yet to meet a person that I need to mail that badly. Usually
it's the opposite - they need my mail more than I need to send it.
Hi,
        First let me clarify something, because I think I made the wrong
impression.
        Eli's response was (to the list), "You bounced me from the spamming
site, I'm not going to send again."
        What had happened was that his ISP, was mistakenly on a list of AGIS
netblocks.  I fixed the problem. (With the aid of folks here)
        I have 8-10 people that I know who are on Juno/Hotmail, etc.  Since the
mailer is free, I assume that there are other people who might want to contact
me who have those addresses.  However, of the about 1000 emails that I've
gotten from those domains, about 20 have been legit.
        I don't just /dev/null the stuff that I mark as suspect from those
domains, I put them in a folder which I look at every 2 or so weeks.  If
someone has something to say to me that is time sensitive, I'd rather they get
the response and automatically put their address on the approved list, as
opposed to their having to wait 2 weeks for me to look at their stuff.  I state
very clearly in my bounce message that I will get to it in 2-3 weeks.
        I discovered that my travel agent had a juno account and got her
message in a timely manner because she used the magic cookie.  It saved me a
few hundred bucks.
        When someone says, "You bounced me, and it's not my bother to send
again." I count it as a normal response.  This is what Eli did.
        When some responds, "You $#@@%!! pig felching spammer!"  I put it under
the , "Methinks the lady doth protest too much."  It did happen to me once.  It
someone sending out evangelical spam from a hotmail account.  To his credit he
didn't use profanity, but he was flaming.
        He should count himself lucky.  If it had made it to my in box, he
would have got my standard response to evangelical spam, "Thanks, but I'm a
monotheist."  He would have liked this even less.  ;-)

Matthew Saroff
Do not reply directly to this message.  Reply to
msaroff(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com