Re: formatting *From for outgoing mail

1998-03-03 03:32:41
|Tue 98-03-03 Oliver_Bach(_at_)t-online(_dot_)de (Wophet) list.procmail
|
| what is a good formatting line of *from for your outgoing mail?
|
| "Text" <email(_at_)host(_dot_)org>

Hm, it's better without quotes. [I'm almost sure that the statement
below is nonsense, but hey...]

    From: To be is not same as beeing to be <foo(_at_)site(_dot_)com>

Use () instead of quotes if you enclose special characters. The
parenthesis is used for RFC comment marker.

    From: <foo(_at_)site(_dot_)com> (To be, is not same as beeing to be)

The enclosed comma need to be protected and the reversed order is due to
recommendation. I don't know how should I react to surname lastname
matter -- I tend to think that I can write any text on the line
as long as it's within comment. But here is the RFC 1036:

    2.1.1.  From
    RFC-822 specifies that all text in parentheses is to be interpreted
    as a comment.  It is common in Internet mail to place the full name
    of the user in a comment at the end of the "From" line.  This
    standard specifies a more rigid syntax.  The full name is not
    considered a comment, but an optional part of the header line.
    Either the full name is omitted, or it appears in parentheses after
    the electronic address of the person posting the message, or it
    appears before an electronic address which is enclosed in angle
    brackets.  Thus, the three permissible forms are: