Re: [spamtools] Another pattern

1998-03-03 17:12:18
On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, era eriksson wrote:

On Sun, 1 Mar 1998 19:36:28 -0500 (EST), gsutter(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com wrote:

Also on the second condition line, you may want to append [-a-z'] to the
end, to create

That Is Perhaps Not Necessarily A Good Idea.
                               ^^
This will make for a stricter match, disallowing such phrases as "that's
what I think" from matching on the "what I"; there are innumerable other
such cases.

Innumerable? Three more please then?

Well, OK (that's one), here's example A (that's two):  What if I (that's
the same one as above) told you my grades from my last semester of
college?  I got an A in geography, a B+ (three) in STS, and many other
grades that I don't want to share... especially with YOU! (four)

Anyhow, the whole recipe gave
some leeway, the score would start out with -80 as you recall, to
allow for sudden bursts of Proper Names and other Stuff Like That in
normal text. (I haven't tested, it was the original poster to
spamtools who wanted it that way.)

Right, and the leeway is certainly needed.  I've tried setting it really
low and have so far worked back up to -40 or so... I'll probably end up
setting it to -60 or so at most (and possibly less, back to the original
poster's -80).

 The heuristic is fragile at best, I wouldn't necessarily can it as
spam based on this recipe alone (but I might move it to a secondary

Right, by itself it's not a very good measure.

{ JFEXP="$JFSEC: Capital Bogosity" }

Isn't there a clear difference between "bogosity" and "bozoticity"?
I prefer the latter. :-)

From the esteemed Jargon File:

:bogosity: /boh-go's*-tee/ n.  1. The degree to which
   something is {bogus}.  At CMU, bogosity is measured with a
   {bogometer}; in a seminar, when a speaker says something bogus,
   a listener might raise his hand and say "My bogometer just
   triggered".  More extremely, "You just pinned my bogometer"
   means you just said or did something so outrageously bogus that it
   is off the scale, pinning the bogometer needle at the highest
   possible reading (one might also say "You just redlined my
   bogometer").  The agreed-upon unit of bogosity is the
   {microLenat}.  2. The potential field generated by a {bogon
   flux}; see {quantum bogodynamics}.  See also {bogon flux},
   {bogon filter}, {bogus}.

:bozotic: /boh-zoh'tik/ or /boh-zo'tik/ adj.  [from the name of
   a TV clown even more losing than Ronald McDonald] Resembling
   or having the quality of a bozo; that is, clownish, ludicrously
   wrong, unintentionally humorous.  Compare {wonky},
   {demented}.  Note that the noun `bozo' occurs in slang, but
   the mainstream adjectival form would be `bozo-like' or (in New
   England) `bozoish'.

I think that, although text of that type is indeed wonky, it also
immediately triggers my bogometer, causing it to register a high
bogosity.  Perhaps I'll rename junkfilter to "EBP: the email bogosity
probe".  Or.... maybe not.

GReg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                       "How do I read this file?"
mailto:gsutter(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com                "You uudecode it."