count & test received lines?

1998-03-15 13:53:16

I think this has been discussed recently ... but alas it
went by me,& I can't think of a reasonable way to

count the number of received: lines
  if 0 do one thing
  if 1 do something else &c.

Aside from a simple solution to the above, I'm interested in
a more general problem:

how can I do some kind of processing, & put the results into
 a procmail variable (this I know how to do), and then:
test against this procmail variable?  That is,
test for a string -- test for a numeric relationship -- &c.

I can see that I have come up against this problem many times
in my scripts, but I avoid it & solve another way because I
don't know how to do it.