Generating mailbox full errors

1998-04-15 12:05:11
I'm a sysadmin for a local ISP of ~4000 users.  Our mail exchanger is a BSDI
3.1 box.  I've installed procmail 3.11pre7 as the local mailer (for
anti-spam capabilities).

Occasionally, I'll see a bounce message from another mailer (usually a
spammer's mailbox on a free email site) that says "mailbox full".  We have
problems with some users that have extremely large mailboxes and we'd like
that capability -- Just a simple check to see if
/var[/spool]/mail/USERNAME is under a predetermined size regardless of the
actual message size.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to accomplish this with sendmail. I
was hoping that there was an efficient way to make an /etc/procmailrc that
checks a recipient's mailbox size before attempting delivery.  I assume that
a recipe could spawn a script to check but that seems terribly slow and
inefficient.

Can anyone help me out?

Tom Marshall
System Administrator