Re: Favorite Recipes

1998-04-29 09:22:33
Christopher Lindsey writes:
:0
* ^Comments:.*authenticated\ sender\ is

* ^()\/(Comments:.*authenticated\ sender|X-PMFLAGS)

* !^X-Mailer:.*Pegasus

Don't forget to add

  * !^Return-Path:.*owner-

in case the message is resent via a mailing list.

:0
* ^Message-ID.*<>
/dev/null

# This will allegedly trap invalid message ID's
:0
* !^Message-Id:[\t ]+<("[^"]+"|[^ <>@]+)@[^<>]*>$
/dev/null

You can probably combine these two recipes into a single one.  Ron posted
a much better one that checks just about every aspect of RFC compliance
a while back.  You can see it at

 Philip Guenther posted a very complete regexp back in March. Grep the
 archive for the "bad message id's" thread.

Otherwise, you'll be filtering some valid mail too (although \t doesn't equal
tab, so you need to make that an actual tab character for this to work).

 Filtering bad (non-RFC compliant) Message-Id:'s to /dev/null is a very
 bad idea. I am using Philip's regexp for test purposes, and it is catching
 legit mail every once in a while.

 I also tried the MessageID ruleset from the latest sendmail beta for a
 while (it rejects anything not in the format "< something @ something >"),
 and not even this extremely simplistic format is adhered to by some MUAs.
 The rules caught incomimg Message-Id:'s with "<@host.domain.com>". The sender
 was in the domain of one of the "TOP 5 PC makers", btw ...