Re: Problem with 3.11pre7?

1998-05-04 23:36:06
On 4 May 1998, Paul O Bartlett <pobart(_at_)access(_dot_)digex(_dot_)net> wrote:
    My ISP has a distributed system.  When I log in, I am on one or
another SunOS 4.1.4 system.  Doing a 'procmail -v' shows me v3.10.  I
sent a message to the ISP's software request mailbox asking for an
upgrade to v3.11pre7 and got the response back that that was what
was on the mail servers and that what was on the user servers was
irrelevant.  (Exactly what unix the mail servers are running I do not
know.)  Subsequently I changed all my ^TO macros in my recipes over to
^TO_ and soon thereafter the proverbial you-know-what hit the fan.

    First, the logfile showed me that ^TO_ was in fact expanding the
same way as ^TO with the underscore being treated as if it were part
of the following regexp (and consequently some recipes were failing).
[...]

    Most likely the procmail that actually gets executed is _not_ a
v3.11pre7 then.

   Finally they reinstituted my shell on the condition that I not use
procmail at all!

    How badly do you need to have an account at that particular ISP? :-)

    Anyway, if (1) it's acceptable to you to retrieve your mail via POP
/ IMAP / whatever, and (2) you have full access to another Unix machine
(f.i. you have a Linux od FreeBSD system at home), you can use fetchmail
as a temporary solution:

        ftp://ftp.ccil.org/pub/esr/fetchmail/

Fetchmail can retrieve your mail via POP, and then feed it back to your
local MTA, making the messages look like they had been delivered at your
local machine.  You can run procmail on your local machine then to sort
your mail.

    Regards,

    Liviu

--
Dr. Liviu Daia                   e-mail:   daia(_at_)stoilow(_dot_)imar(_dot_)ro
Institute of Mathematics         web page: http://www.imar.ro/~daia