Problem with 3.11pre7?

1998-05-04 23:42:32
    My ISP has a distributed system.  When I log in, I am on one or
another SunOS 4.1.4 system.  Doing a 'procmail -v' shows me v3.10.  I
sent a message to the ISP's software request mailbox asking for an
upgrade to v3.11pre7 and got the response back that that was what was
on the mail servers and that what was on the user servers was
irrelevant.  (Exactly what unix the mail servers are running I do not
know.)  Subsequently I changed all my ^TO macros in my recipes over to
^TO_ and soon thereafter the proverbial you-know-what hit the fan.

    First, the logfile showed me that ^TO_ was in fact expanding the
same way as ^TO with the underscore being treated as if it were part of
the following regexp (and consequently some recipes were failing).
Much worse, apparently a process (or processes) somehow related to my
account and supposedly involving procmail processing was driving one or
more of the mail servers to its/their knees, and Operations went in and
disabled my .forward and then disabled my shell so I couldn't even log
in.

   Finally they reinstituted my shell on the condition that I not use
procmail at all!  I have been going round and round with them, and the
last way the finger has pointed has been at the ^TO_ macro, although
that is not a sure thing as the source of the problem.  They say I may
not use procmail until some time they get around to having twelve or
eighteen hours free to monitor things, even if I change all my macros
back to ^TO .

    This has been frustrating, to say the least, not having procmail.
Has anyone else ever heard of anything like this happening?

Regards,
Paul                             <pobart(_at_)access(_dot_)digex(_dot_)net>
Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA
Finger, keyserver, or WWW for PGP public key
Home Page:  http://www.access.digex.net/~pobart