Re: Default shell sh/ksh

1998-05-06 17:43:57
At 10:14 AM 5/6/98 -0700, Jacques Gauthier wrote:
Hi,

My internet provider is on a file system composed of
several servers.  I always have access to my home
directory provided I use the ksh shell.   If I use
csh or sh, often I am unable to determine things like
pwd.

My question:  Has anyone ever tried to use procmail
with ksh as default shell ?  Someone posted
a few days ago that csh was broken.   Is ksh broken
also ?

I think this is not a broken shell problem.  You'll find
that csh uses /usr/bin/pwd, but that ksh has a built-in pwd.
Type the command /usr/bin/pwd from ksh, and you'll get the
same error, if it's anything like the times I've seen
similar problems.

The solution is somewhere in the permissions in the
directories above your home directory, I believe.  I think
that /usr/bin/pwd tries to stat things it doesn't need to.

(Note, depending on your system, the pwd executable may
not reside in /usr/bin but elsewhere.)

(I think David Tamkin addressed your procmail concerns
already, to farther than my experience goes.)

Hope that helps,
Stan