Re: Filtering already existing mbox

1998-05-18 05:37:06
On Sun, 17 May 1998, Bill McClatchie wrote:

On Sun, 17 May 1998, Matt Cortes wrote:
 I'm
going to hit myself if its as simple as "cat mbox | procmail"..  But
whatever the "offical" procedure is is what I'd like to do.

Don't hurt yourself.  :-)  If you want, the man page for procmail includes
a script for doing exactly what you are asking:

       Procmail can also be invoked  to  postprocess  an  already
       filled  system  mailbox.   This can be useful if you don't
       want to or can't use a $HOME/.forward file

Ouch.  I truly never saw the entry.  I skimmed through that damn man file
so many times too.  hehe.  Thanks so much for pointing it out to me.  I
cut the script right out and I'm ready to start processing my mail file.
No, I don't like the .forward idea..  but since its my server, I put
procmail into the sendmail.cf file which in my opinion is much better then
messing with the .forward.  .forward just seems too much like a
workaround.

One last thing I'm wondering is..  just to make sure procmail handled
EVERY message..  I'm hoping I can get it to move whatever mail that was
left after all the rc.filters are ran into a seperate in box instead of
the default /var/spool/mail/username box.  I want to for now on consider
any mail in the spool directory as "unprocessed" mail.  What kind of
filter can I make *safely* that will take everything that didn't pass the
other filters and put it into another inbox?

Thanks so much for your time and help,

-Matt Cortes
Pulsar Communications