Re: IMAP support

1998-05-19 17:55:16
On Tue, 19 May 1998, malgosia askanas wrote:
At least with most IMAP servers, the local storage mechanism is either
mbox, MH, or Maildir format. Procmail (with patches, for Maildir) can
support all three.

Still don't see the problem...

Let's say I have an IMAP server running on a separate, user-inaccessible
machine.  I would like people to be able to use procmail filters to have
their mail delivered into different IMAP mailboxes.  The most elegant way
to do this, it seems to me, is to use IMAP's "deliver" agent, which already
exists, is integrated into IMAP and does everything right.

You haven't said through any of this what IMAP server you're using. There
are several. If your IMAP server requires a particular delivery agent to
get things right by it, then you're rather stuck with that delivery agent.

So let's say I build a little program that runs on the user-accessible
machines and takes as input a mail message and connects to IMAP's
delivery agent in LMTP mode and tells it to deliver the message to a
given mailbox.  Yes?  Then the users' procmail filters can invoke this
program and off goes their mail.

Ah, LMTP. You're using LSoft's proprietary MTA. I'm assuming that it comes
with an IMAP server, then.

I have no idea what you'll need to do...feeding messages into their
delivery agent is probably the safest bet.

My guess: LSoft's "deliver" is just standard UNIX deliver, which dumps
into an mbox. If that's the case, you can probably skip that part, and hit
the mailbox you're delivering to directly. There shouldn't be anything
magical about multiple IMAP folders; I'm using multiple folders right now,
with UW's IMAP server, and they're referenced as files on the filesystem.
Nothing special.

--
Edward S. Marshall  `-----------------------'   http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/

   Linux labyrinth 2.1.101 #2 SMP Sun May 10 22:34:20 GMT 1998 i586 unknown
        7:35pm up 1 day, 21:06, 2 users, load average: 0.05, 0.04, 0.01