Re: Hashed spool, auto creation?

1998-05-27 00:14:29
|Tue 98-05-26 Mike Greene <mikeg(_at_)rockisland(_dot_)com> list.procmail
| I've just installed Procmail v. 3.11pre7 on a new mail server (not in
| production yet) and I'm trying to implement the hashed spool option.  Mail
| delivery works fine, however I had to manually create the hashed directory
| ie; /var/mail/m/i/mikeg in order for procmail to deliver the mail.
|
| I hope to migrate several thousand users over to this machine and would
| like the directories to be created on the fly when mail delivery is
| attempted, is this possible?  Or will I need to have a script written to
| accomplish this?
|
| Pointers to references or scripts would be grand... thanks in advance for
| any info you can provide.

I do not know anything about the installation of procmail, but I've
saved some articles from this list to pm-tips.txt (Follow X-info).
I know more when I get my first PC and Debinan Linux within
couple of months. :-)

jari

    22.7 Compiling procmail and MAILSPOOLHOME

          ...I am compiling 3.11pre7 on a new system and have a couple of
          questions. I edited the makefile to be the home directory
          "/home/a/abc" for example. I defined MAILSPOOLHOME as "/mail".
          The incoming mail is actually stored in "/usr/mail/abc".  When I
          pipe test messages through procmail (using
          "procmail</usr/mail/abc"), rather than them ending up in my
          inbox, they end up in a mailbox called "msg.gs.KB".  What on
          earth did I goof up? As I sit here and think about this, should
          MAILSPOOLHASH be set to 1 instead of 0?

        [phil] If incoming mail is supposed to be stored in
        /usr/mail/loginnamehere, then you should not define MAILSPOOLHOME
        at all, but rather define MAILSPOOLDIR to "/usr/mail/" and leave
        MAILSPOOLHASH as 0. Defining MAILSPOOLHOME causes mail to be
        delivered to insides each user's home directory, which does not
        appear to be what you want. MAILSPOOLHASH causes addition levels of
        hierarchy in the spool directory to be created, thus avoiding the
        'fat slow directory' problem.

    23.12 Patch: correcting mailspoolhash

        [Christopher McCrory <chrismcc(_at_)netus(_dot_)com> 1998-05-08 in
Message-ID
        <"v4OxyD.A.dJD.kO1U1"@campino>] Are there any plans to make it
        3.12? The reason I ask is I have patched 3.11pre7 to include
        support for MAILSPOOLHASH = 1.

            - HASH 0 : /var/spool/mail/chrismcc
            - HASH 1 : /var/spool/mail/chrismcc/r/chrismcc  ( r? , yes )
            - HASH 2 : /var/spool/mail/chrismcc/c/h/chrismcc

        Where/to who should I send it? Currently it puts the mail
        in the correct place. Today I am going to add auto directory
        creation and auto mbox move ( from /var/spool/mail/chrismcc to
        /var/spool/mail/r/chrismcc).