Re: escaped FROM

1998-06-02 13:46:20
Quoting Professional Software Engineering
(PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org):
I'm getting really quite annoyed by the lines beginning with From in
messages being escaped ">From" - even when they are not preceeded by a
blank line.

From the procmail man page:

       If  there is no Content-Length: field or the -Y option has
       been specified and procmail appends to  regular  mailfold­
       ers,  any  lines in the body of the message that look like
       postmarks are prepended with `>' (disarms bogus  mailhead­
       ers).   The  regular expression that is used to search for
       these postmarks is:
              `\nFrom '

You see that it's supposed to look for blank lines, I dunno why it's
not. If you want to keep procmail from escaping From_'s, you need to add
a content-length to all messages:
  :0 fh
  | formail -a "Content-Length:        0"

It's important to have that extra space; procmail will automatically
fill in any content-length field before delivery, but it won't increase
the size of the field--if it's too short, you don't get a proper
content-length.

(Warning: not escaping all the From's will mess up decrepit old MUA's
that ignore the content-length field; discard such MUA's.)

--
Michael Stone, Sysadmin, ITRI     PGP: key 1024/76556F95 from mit keyserver,
mstone(_at_)itri(_dot_)loyola(_dot_)edu            finger, or email with