RE: procmail and netscape3.01

1998-06-02 14:09:10

hi!
I'm using procmail to direct my mail into different folder of
my nsmail
directory. But I have some questions.

How can I be sure that when I do "compress folder", he doesn't remove
any of the new mail I get, I test it and it doesn't remove my new mail
but maybe there is another problem that I can't see.

I use Netscape gold 3.01 and I'd really like, if someone could tell me
if there is a problem to direct mail in folder using netscape.

For example, if I don't compress folder after deleting an
e-mail, a new
mail arrive and reveal the one I trashed. Is there a way to avoid that
problem.

Yes, there is a problem with that. Netscape didn't (and probably still
doesn't) use locks when accessing a folder. Therefore, if procmail is
delivering to the folder at the same time Netscape is performing (say) a
compress on the folder, you could end up with lost messages.

The workarounds are to either:

o deliver the mail to folders, which you read via an IMAP server which
honours the locking of the folders by procmail

o use procmail to "tag" the incoming messages, leaving them in the mail
spool area, with information that Netscape can use to file the messages
in the appropriate folder

Use something like the following in procmail to assign the tag:

--condition--
| formail  -I "To: $DESTINATION (autofile:KEY)"

where KEY is the folder name you want the message to go into.

Then you will need to setup the filtering/filing rules in Netscape.
Netscape 4 (and 3?) have a GUI interface that limits you to processing
well-known mail fields (hence the approach above). Prior to V3, there
was a script mechanism that you could edit to make it do what you want.
Details of this may still be available from Netscape.

        Mike