Re: Duplicate checking -- warning

1998-06-04 03:19:00
        Author:        Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)interlog(_dot_)com>

For me, duplicates usually occur when someone Cc:'s me on a reply
to one of my messages in a list.  In the vast majority of cases,
the copy sent directly to me will get here before the list copy
that detours through the list-server.  The second version to get
to me (usually the list copy) gets dumped.  I want to receive
the list copy, not the "personal" copy.

Which is exactly why I went to my current system of using a special Plussed
address for all the groups I send mail to.... Replying to this message will
get the message sent to $MAILDIR/Lists/procmail and then I can kill the
duplicate if I want.

I actually made a neat little script to check the "To:" address of outgoing
mail and auto-create the right "From:" address (and appropriate .sig :-) so I
can not have to worry about changing my From: manually for every message I
send out....

TjL

ps -- I did set my Reply-To: to the list, but that has its own drawbacks as well