Re: tab characters in headers

1998-06-05 14:41:03
Mark McCreary wrote,

| Some users manage to get the Tab character (^I) in the headers, after the
| Header and before the data.
|
| For example
|
|       Date:^IThu 4 Jun 1998
|       From:^Ijoe schmoo <joe(_at_)mailexcite(_dot_)com>

That's perfectly legitimate, Mark, and procmail and formail can both handle it.

| This then throws off Formail when I go to extract the Sender email address,
| with
|
|       SENDER  = `formail -rtzx To:`

What do you find in $SENDER instead of the return address?

| Has anybody solved this problem, or have any suggestions on how to work
| around.

Moreover, formail -r rewrites the head, so those tabs should be gone anyway
before -x looks at the new To: line.  I tried what you described and had no
difficulty getting proper results (return address only, no tabs) from
formail -rtzxTo:.

My first guess is that maybe you are invoking an old version of formail that
didn't have the -z option.  This has nothing to do with the tabs.