checking the version

1998-06-09 20:38:57
Stan Ryckman suggested to Paul Bartlett,

| To answer that question, try something like:
|     LOG=`hostname; uname -a; procmail -v`
| for a while and see what emerges.  Perhaps they have 3.11pre7 installed
| only on some machines.

I've felt for a while that it would be nice if procmail had some clean way
to check its version, say a $VERSION or $PROCMAIL_VERSION read-only variable.
That way one could make sure that the binary can handle certain recipes
before attempting to use them (and shunt to another rcfile if necessary).

As it is we need to fork procmail -v, save it to a variable, and examine
the second word.