Re: Request for version advice

1998-06-11 13:17:36
I've been studying (here and elsewhere) so I can start using Procmail
at my ISP. They have 3.10 installed (but they explicitly tell me I'm
on my own regarding technical support, which is fair enough.)

Question: Before I get started, should I install the newer
version (3.11pre7) on my account?

Yes, definitely.  It fixes LOTS of problems that were present in
3.10, and your life will be a lot easier.

I've heard 3.11pre7 is stable, and it seems like it has some (lots??)
of useful new features. Since I am lazy, I'd rather not start
developing recipes for 3.10 then later rework them for 3.11.

They should be pretty compatible, although there may be minor
differences in the handling of carriage returns, etc.

Or maybe this is a fairly minor issue. In which case I'll get off my
you-know-what and start trying to use 3.10 now, then convert later.

Convert first.  You'll be happy that you did.

Chris