Re: BCC utilization

1998-07-09 18:57:41
At 07:30 PM 7/9/98 -0400, Rik Kabel wrote:

If you want to guarantee that no recipient knows to whom else the
message is sent, send separate messages, or know well the mail software
used by each, and by all systems on the route the message takes.

I believe it suffices in most cases to know if your mail system takes it
out, and where.  Also, I believe that anyone using procmail can probably
figure out how to leave out the Bcc altogether and create a file
that looks like:
        To: myself
        (any other headers)
        (blank line)
        message text
and then:
    sendmail -oi person_1 person_2 ... < the_above_file

leaving out Bcc.  In fact, you need not send it to the To: or Cc:
recipient(s) (otherwise, forwarding mail would be quite embarrasing!)
Sendmail may add Date:, From:, and Message-ID if you don't supply them;
however, I don't think it will *ADD* Bcc: -- it can't tell this from
a forward, after all.

You can even put "To: friend(_at_)public(_dot_)com" but I'd advise against it.
:-)

(You may be able to leave out To: altogether, but I believe RFC822
requires something there; there was a discussion about that but I
don't remember if it was on this list or a different one.)

Cheers,
Stan