Re: Playing a sound when mail arrives

1998-07-29 10:00:40
audioplay is run here on your mail server, on which you probably
don't have sufficient permissions.  Even if you did, you don't
want the sound to play there anyway.  Assuming you have your own
workstation, you would probably get better results from:

:0
* ^From.*prabha
{
        :0 c:
        prabhanjan

        :0
        | cat > /dev/null; rsh <your_workstation> /bin/audioplay -V
/usr/demo/SOUND/sounds/cuckoo.au
}

or even better:

:0
* ^From.*prabha
{
        :0 c:
        prabhanjan

        :0
        | cat > /dev/null; rsh <your_workstation> cat
/usr/demo/SOUND/sounds/cuckoo.au > /dev/audio
}

Steve

Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 10:50:44 +0500
From: Prabhanjan M
<prabham(_at_)prithvi(_dot_)siliconsystems(_dot_)co(_dot_)in>
To: procmail(_at_)informatik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de
Subject: Playing a sound when mail arrives

Hi,
      I want to be able to play an au-file
when mail arrives in a particular folder.

I have in my .procmailrc: (for testing this feature)

:0
* ^From.*prabha
{
      :0 c:
      prabhanjan

      :0
      | cat > /dev/null; /bin/audioplay -V /usr/demo/SOUND/sounds/cuckoo.au
}

When I send mail to myself it is supposed to go to the folder
"prabhanjan" and also play a sound.

When I test this by sending mail to myself and checking the procmail log,
I find that the mail goe sto my folder, but audioplay doesn't succeed.
Message is :

audioplay: error opening /dev/audio: Permission denied

I can play the sound from "sh" directly.

Can someone tell me what is wrong ?

-Prabhanjan